Monday, August 06, 2007

reader response

I got this lovely email from my sister. I always like getting reader responses to my stories, and while I do inform my family whenever I have a story published, I don't often get a response and I'm never really sure if they've all gone and read it. Anyway, I thought I'd post here what my sister sent me. It was really nice to get this response to BITB, especially since it's a story close to my heart.

My sister writes:

I also reread your Boy in the Bush on the teenage website. It is a very powerful story.. Not only does it draw the reader in, it also underscores some of the problems minority groups have in the face of the dominant "majority." I must say that you have made yourself a masterpiece in this one.

Interestingly, reading your story reminds me of what Mr. Perry Hooge said during the Career Camp for the High School Graduates from SOT. In response to a question from the audience, he asked us, "How many races do you think God created? Was it one, five, ten or it doesn't matter?" After he took a poll, he then said that those of us who had chosen more than one had been brainwashed. The reason: In the Bible God created only one race: the human race. The reason why there are so many variations in color, features, characteristics, is because in one single gene, God has placed all the information that is needed to produce a person who is white, black, red, yellow, or brown. Dr. Delbert Hooge then added that if we say that there is more than one race, then we have to have a Saviour for each of the races. Jesus Christ's death would not be sufficient for all. This is something that I have did not think about. Personally, I also think that this is the reason why we have the problem of racial prejudice. We have failed to recognize that all of us have come from the race of Adam, and therefore all are equal. Someething to think about right?

This mail certainly gives me lots of things to think about. Thanks, sis, and thanks to TeenAge magazine for publishing this story.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 2004, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages . God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].
PEACE BE WITH YOU
MICKY

06 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home