Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Workshopping Boy in the Bush

So that was an interesting workshop. I haven't had time to blog about it till today, since life has been so, so, so hectic. My bike has been acting up with flat tires, and walking back and forth from school just leaves me with enough time to sit down and drink a cup of tea in between before heading out the door again.

Heh. Looks like I'll have to get a new tire soon.

But yes, the workshop was really great. Very relaxed and nothing fearsome like I'd imagined. I met some really interesting people. Needless to say, Neil Cocker, the workshop leader did a great job. He also has this lovely scottish accent. Funny how I can't seem to read the story used at the workshop without hearing his voice reading it aloud. Yeaha -- this is like when I heard Valerie Mason-John read Borrowed Body, strong and powerful, that voice carrying me all throughout that book.

I think readings always add an extra dimension to enjoyment of a written work...plus of course, you get to ask for autographs .

It was close to the last exercise that I finally resolved that niggling bit of unresolved section in Boy in the Bush. Ha, ha. How to tie up myth and the life of the Boy...that just came together writing with pen in hand, scribbling away for life in 20 minutes...ending with a very big smile.

Will I attend another workshop? I probably will in the future. I probably will not be as hesitant or as scared as this first time. I probably still won't talk a lot...but well...that's probably one of the funny things about being a writer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home