Sunday, October 15, 2006

What pregnant women do to stimulate their brains...

It's quite easy to connect a camera to the computer and transfer photographs taken. I confess that I've just been lazy. However, my desire to share some scrumptious reading has gotten me off my butt long enough to connect the cable from the camera to the computer.



One reason why I decided to buy Mark #4 is this awesome quote by Andreas Angelikadas:

"Cities are always big, but a world can exist inside your closet." (Andreas Angelikadas, Mark #4)

After reading that quote, my buying this book was a done thing. Plus, of course, it's in English, which makes it easy reading. Lots of food for thought in this volume, plus there's this report entitled: "Living Dangerously", which features challenging houses in Japan, designed by the poets Shusaku Arakawa and Madeline Gins.

Just looking at the drawings is enough to make my brain water. There's enough food for thought in there to feed an entire generation of stories built on another planet.

Certainly, our trip to the Home and Lifestyle fair in Amsterdam RAI, was well worth it.



Another really great mag ( which we got for free ) was Eigen Huis & Interior. A really posh, design magazine which features the latest wannahaves. I'm not mad enough to go out and buy thousand euro shoes, but the pictures in this mag are really stunning, and I find myself trying to imagine what a design mag would look like some hundred years from now. Considering how everything goes around in circles, and even fashion is recyclable.

Reading these mags has helped me solve one of the major dilemmas I've encountered in I-Walk. It also brought this moment of epiphany between two of my major characters:


“Their family signs a release form,” Matanya had replied. “Earth is in need of alternative energy sources, what’s the point of wasting all those souls when we can harness them and put them to good use?”

“The ultimate recycling job,” Sue commented dryly.

Matanya laughed.

“It's what we’re good at.”

“Long live Dutch thriftiness,” Sue said.


He, he. And I'm not even done yet. But the story is definitely set in Holland sometime in an improbable future.

There's this page on Eigen Huis that I couldn't resist taking a picture of and posting on here. The lights blurred the text somewhat, but it's a quote from Robert Louis Stevenson that goes: "Wine is bottled poetry."

Take an eyeful of that designer wine rack. It certainly looks poetic with all those graceful wavy lines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home