Saturday, April 30, 2005

Queen's Day

Yay! It's the 30th of April and everyone in The Netherlands is celebrating Queen's Day. Today, Queen Beatrix celebrates her 25th year of reign.

We're off to the center of the town to check out what everyone has got to sell and to see if there's anything interesting going on. I think that every town in the Netherlands celebrates Queen's Day like this: with an open market where you can buy second hand toys and goods from everyone else for a small price. Could that be the reason why people look forward to Queen's Day? I really don't know. Maybe that's something I should find out.

I won't knock the monarchy here because everyone in Holland loves their royal house. I must admit that they do put on a great show every now and then. Aside from that, I really don't know what the monarchy is good for. Someone once told me that it's simply an outdated status symbol.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home